CHANGE, Inc. encourages the integration of services, the building of partnerships, and the consolidating of resources to empower families towards healthy self-sufficient living.
CHANGE, Inc. (Christians Helping Arrange New Growth Enterprises) Community Action Agency was formed in 1983 by a handful of clergy members who wished to aid families affected by layoffs from Weirton Steel find new employment. Since that time, we have grown into a full-circle agency, addressing many of the needs of the economically disadvantaged. With over 30 years of operation, the belief of empowering families is still strong within the agency.
The concept of “community action” was originally conceived as part of the War on Poverty Program launched by the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964. Community Action objectives focused on enabling people to achieve self-sufficiency and providing them with the resources to achieve that goal, and the concept of community action, people working together to help people, became widely known throughout the Northern Panhandle. As the concept grew, additional services were developed and interest continued to grow in the community.
The Promise of Community Action:
Community Action changes people’s lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities, and makes America a better place to live. We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other.
Six National Goals of Community Action:
- Goal One: Low-income people become more self-sufficient.
- Goal Two: The conditions in which low-income people live are improved.
- Goal Three: Low-Income people own a stake in their community.
- Goal Four: Partnerships among supporters and providers of services to low-income people are achieved.
- Goal Five: Agencies increase their capacity to achieve results.
- Goal Six: Low-income people, especially vulnerable populations, achieve their potential by strengthening family and other supportive systems.