What We Do
The West Virginia Northern Panhandle Consortium’s First Time Home Buyer program (FTHB) assists individuals and families in obtaining affordable housing within Hancock County, Brooke County, and the City of Weirton by providing down-payment and closing cost assistance up to $10,000. The money is distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis in each jurisdiction, and is limited to a certain number of families per year.
Please Note: This is a forgivable loan not a grant.
How to Receive Service
To be eligible for the FTHB forgivable loan, you must meet the following:
- Be a first time home buyer
- Meet income eligibility for the area and family size
- Have a signed real estate agreement for the following areas: Brooke and Hancock Counties or the city of Weirton
- Have a pre-qualification agreement with a qualified lender
- Provide a $50.00 application fee
- The maximum loan amount for the home must not exceed $133,000
- Applicant must complete our Housing Counseling class before applying for down payment assistance
- The house must meet HUD’s Housing Quality Standards prior to funding
- If the home you wish to buy was built prior to 1978, HUD and EPA’s Lead-Based Paint Rule applies. Prior to requesting a HOME inspection, make sure the property is free of any chipping, cracking, caulking or degraded paint (paint coming loose from the surface). Surfaces to examine are any painted surface that is exposed to weather, moisture, friction or frequent traffic. If any noted degraded paint is evident on the property, it must be painted (encapsulated) prior to the HOME inspection..
If you have an impairment, disability, language barrier, or otherwise require an alternative means of accessing information about housing counseling, please talk to your housing counselor about arranging alternative accommodations.
Please go to our Applications for Programs tab to fill out an application!
Application updated 10/02/2019
CHANGE, Inc. / Family Medical Care – Newell Office
1151 Washington Street, Newell, WV 26050
CHANGE, Inc. Outreach Office
700 First Street, Moundsville, WV 26041
CHANGE, Inc. Administrative Office
3158 West Street, Weirton, WV 26062